Friday, August 22, 2014

Blog Post 1 - What About EDM 310?

What About EDM 310?

Tablet and phone connecting education across the globe
I am, like most others, apprehensive about EDM 310. I have heard comments ranging from "It's a great class and Dr. Strange is an excellent teacher" to "It's the worst class I have ever taken in my entire life." On the whole, though, I have been told that the class does have a lot of work, but as long as I keep up and set aside the time for it the class will be beneficial to me as a future teacher.

I am a perfectionist, so I often have a fear of not living up to high expectations in most classes at the beginning of each semester. However, I know that once I become familiar with this class and the typical workload I will be more at ease.

In my senior year of high school my school became the first high school in Alabama to become part of the "Digital Renaissance," so I am somewhat used to computers and technology being a central part in classroom. We never used Google Drive or Blogger, though, so some of this is still new to me. So far in my college career I have not been in a class that has been this technology based besides my online classes. Even so, I am looking forward to using my creativity and imagination in assignments for this class.

The most difficult thing for me is actually my lack of a stable high-speed internet connection. Where I live (outside of Bay Minette) is apparently so far out in the middle of nowhere that we are unable to receive DSL, let alone cable broadband. We have satellite internet, and while it works decently, we often run out of internet halfway through the month and it slows down to the speed of dial-up. However, this is not a new problem for me and I am prepared to frequently visit libraries and/or coffee shops for wi-fi in order to get my work done.

What about EDM 310? It may be a challenge, but if the challenge will help me to become a better teacher, then I think this class will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment