Monday, November 3, 2014

C4T 3 - Dean Shareski

Ideas and Thoughts

Dean Shareski

Ideas and Thoughts: Learning Stuff Since 1964 is the personal blog by Dean Shareski, the community manager for Discovery Education Canada. His blog discusses his thoughts on technology in education in addition to other education-related topics. The first post, "Reflection Trumps Connection" discusses the purposes and importance of connection and reflection. In "Smart People I Know Everywhere: Episode 1," he presents his new podcast interview series.

Reflection Trumps Connection

In "Reflection Trumps Connection," Shareski provides a screenshot of the lighthearted debate two of his colleagues had on Twitter about the value of connection and reflection. Instead of contributing to the discussion through Twitter, he decided to write this blog post about his thoughts. While connection is important, Shareski claims reflection is more valuable and says that is why he prefers to write about his thoughts in blog posts instead of 140 character messages on Twitter. He adds that blogs are a great way for educators to reflect on their performance. In my comment I told him that I agreed with him in that Twitter is a connection tool and not a useful reflection tool. I also agreed that it is important for teachers to self-reflect, although I am hesitant to write personal reflections on my performance in a blog. However, I am open to the ideas of recording reflections in a diary or even a video diary. Mr. Shareski replied to my comment and urged me to consider posting my reflections publicly. I replied that I am open to anything that will help me become a better educator.

Smart People I Know Everywhere: Episode 1

"Smart People I Know Everywhere," also known as SPIKE, is a new podcast series Shareski is debuting. In SPIKE, Shareski will interview a "smart person" that he knows about an educational topic. The podcasts will be no longer than five minutes and the first official SPIKE podcast interview will happen in episode 2. In my comment, I said that I though SPIKE is a great idea and I am looking forward to hearing the next podcast. I also liked the idea of a podcast as opposed to a video.

No comments:

Post a Comment